TotalView 2018.3 continues its steady progress forward to add improved debugging features and capabilities so that your developers can quickly understand, diagnose, and fix issues in your complex C, C++, Fortran, and Python code.
Let’s take a look at the new features and improvements in 2018.3.
The NextGen TotalView user interface
TotalView’s new user interface is now officially supported. To change between the new UI and the TotalView Classic UI, use the Preferences dialog on the Display menu. You can launch the new UI with the -newUI switch:
For more details on the new UI, see the in-product help through the Help | Contents menu item. New features added to the NextGen user interface in this release include:
• Barrier Point support: The ability to create Barrier Points to synchronize threads and processes has been added
• Set Breakpoint: You can now use the Set Breakpoint menu item on a selected source line number to create a breakpoint
• Bug fixes and improvements: Numerous bug fixes and minor improvements have been made to the new UI
Currently, the next generation UI is supported on Linux x86 64-bit, Linux PowerLE, Linux ARM64, and Apple’s Mac OS X platforms. It supports multi-process and multi-threaded debugging as well as a level of parallel, MPI and CUDA debugging. Functionality not yet present in the UI is available through the command line interface (CLI). Please send an email with your feedback and feature priorities. We welcome all feedback and feature requests for the new user interface.
Improved CUDA debugging support
For 2018.3, TotalView provides a number of advances with its support for debugging CUDA applications:
• CUDA 9.2 and CUDA 10.0: This release provides official support of CUDA 9.2 and CUDA 10.0 as well as CUDA 8.0 and 9.0-9.2
• Multi-GPU debugging improvements: TotalView 2018.3 improves the capabilities, reliability, and performance of debugging on advanced multi-GPU capable applications
• New UI CUDA debugging improvements: Continued improvements to the TotalView new UI have been made to improve debugging of CUDA applications. TotalView 2018.3 enhancements include a new GPU navigation bar that allows for easy navigation between the Logical or Physical coordinates of the GPU, performance improvements when displaying breakpoints for GPU code, and other stability improvements
For more information about CUDA, refer to Using the CUDA Debugger.